Thursday, September 21, 2006

Rising salaries Vanishing workers!

Rising salaries Vanishing workers!

Recently I heard from one my colleagues who had been to our office in Romania. On his first day at the office they proceeded to have lunch at the canteen. Interestingly one lady who was a Romanian working for Alcatel, Romania called upon them and asked if he was an Indian? On immediately saying yes the lady prompted saying

“You Indians keep changing your employer every year is it?”

Embarrassing for the country at least!

And who can forget the Hari Sadu. H for Hitler, A for Arrogant, R for rascal and I for Idiot ad by Naukri.com. :)

So where are we heading? Are we getting too much carried away by the sudden Buzz that’s around the Indian industry? Are we getting too ambitious and tantalisingly over-confident? Where is the maturity and Ethics for which Indians are known all over the world?

Somebody asked me “How different it is to changes jobs every year from changing wives every year?”. No prizes for guessing that he was a HR. You obviously promise commitment in the relationship with your employer as you do to your wife. Just because you find a girl richer than your wife you cannot divorce your wife! If yes then why do you divorce your job? If no, you better be less influenced by people around you who like kangaroos keep hopping.

Hang On! My subconscious mind now is forcing me to write what is so called practical! And I will not disappoint him. :)

What’s wrong in switching jobs? After all my parents never thought about one because they were secured by their employer with pension but I will never be. Also because my parents never re-skilled themselves, never were ambitious but I am. Concisely they didn’t see growth inside or around them. I don’t have any security in life. I am seeing so many growth opportunities blooming around me. So I will seek a high paying employer and hug him as long as the high becomes mediocre!

Someone I talked to two days back exclaimed “WOW an ISB grad got a 1 crore package!!” and someone I talked to yesterday regarding the same issue said “Did you know how worthy that individual was. She deserved such a pay because she was an IIT Grad with some promising exp and a ISB MBA” . So what am I trying to say here?

The person I talked to first was more carried away by that money. The person I talked to second was more carried away by that person and who got that money! Now slightly tuning my statement we seldom look at the company. We often look things monetarily.

On further insights I think we are very myopic in our views. We need to think long term and plan for a period of life rather than plan for short periods of time. And if you still thought you need to hop then its pretty logical and an intelligent move.

So the next time, at least the next time you type that resignation letter weigh the pros and cons, on a short term and on a long term. Do a SWOT. Do a PEST.Remember that if you still felt you should get out of this job, the last time you did a SWOT you miserably failed. So you could fail this time as well :) .

Remember,

"What we are today is the result of our own past actions. Whatever we wish to be in the future depends on our present actions. Decide how you have to act now."

Caution: The writer quit his job recently!

No comments: